Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Free Write

I once owned a black 1985 Volkswagen Scirocco. Volkswagen produced this car from about 1974 until about 1989 in the United States; however, they were sometimes hard to come by and quite popular among European/Volkswagen car enthusiasts. In fact, they were so popular that many people wanted to start a Scirocco club, similar to those where the people own Corvettes or Ferraris.

I was approached on countless occasions by strange men who saw me near my car or driving. They would stop whatever they were doing, come up and start conversations about the car. They would always tell me some story about how they used to own one or their friend owned one or their girlfriend’s dad owned one. Then they would proceed to tell me how they want to start a club and they’ve already talked to some other people who own Sciroccos, and we should all get together so we can show off our cars, talk about our cars, make animal sacrifices to the Volkswagen gods, and get Scirocco tattoos all over our forearms and necks.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Volkswagens and I loved my Scirocco. It was a great, reliable little sports car that people sometimes mistook for the Back to the Future car. My whole family loved the car and we all did everything we could to keep it in good condition. Sometimes my dad or brother would drive it on a Saturday or Sunday just to see how many people asked him to join a club too; the weekends brought out most of the maniacs.

I never joined a Scirocco club, much to the disappointment of the strange men and my friends, who just wanted me to go see what the meetings were like so we could make fun of them. I guess I just didn’t love me car as much as some, I guess. To this day I still look for Sciroccos, they’re not hard to miss, and if I ever get the chance to talk to the owner I always ask them to join a Scirocco club, just to make sure everyone who owns that particular kind of car gets to have the same experience I had. I always get looked at funny, but I assume it’s the same look I gave the others before me.



P.S. The license plate on my Scirocco contained the numbers 566. These numbers were the inspiration to perhaps one of the most demonic bands to date: 566 and the Mopeds of the Apocalypse, Satan’s own doomsday band.

1 comment:

Jonathan12345 said...

That's an interesting approach to a conversation about a car!