Sunday, February 3, 2008

Technical Application - Style

At any new job you are usually forced to get to know your new co-workers, and they, in turn, are forced to get to know you. Usually the conversations begin simply with questions like how old are you, where are you from, and what do you like to do for fun. There tends to be a natural progression in the co-worker relationship. As you know your fellow employees better, you give up more information about yourself. This is how the rest of society functions and I believe this is how your job should function as well. As I began my job at the movie theater, a job I was forced to take when I couldn’t find employment anywhere else in this God-forsaken city, I figured this would be the likely scenario.

“So I think I’m getting fired tonight. I got suspended from work for a few weeks for swearing at a customer and this is my first day back, but the manager just found out I was stealing money so I don’t know what’s going to happen. What’s your name? Are you new?”

This was the first thing said to me by a co-worker on my first day. The second day was a little better, but not by much.

“Hi, my name is Jane, what’s yours? Are you new?”

“My name is Jordan, and yeah I’m new. How long have you worked here?”

“Well, I’ve worked here ever since my boyfriend went to jail for selling drugs. He got arrested about 2 and a half years ago, so I guess I’ve worked here a little less than that. I don’t plan on working here much longer though. I’m pregnant with my boyfriend’s brother’s baby and I shouldn’t be here when he gets out or there’ll probably be some trouble.”

The third day left a more lasting impression, however, after I met another co-worker. The first thing out of his mouth was this:

“So what’s your favorite movie? Mine is Saw or maybe Saw 2. Do you collect anything? I collect swords and knives. I have over a hundred swords and knives under my bed and my mom doesn’t know anything about them. Sometimes I take them to school with me in my back-pack. I also make secret compartments on my jackets so I can stick knives in them without anyone knowing that they’re in there.”

After that encounter I began to isolate myself at work. I decided it would be best if I didn’t know anything at all about my fellow co-workers. At the very least, I wouldn’t have to go to court to testify.

1 comment:

Jonathan12345 said...

Mother of abominations!That's less than fun!